Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow

AHHHAHHHHHG let’s not have another weekend like that, okay? Maybe even extend it to another week.

I feel like I was either apologizing or paying for or something my weekend with my lovely wife, as I hit the ground running – okay, in my case, hobbling – and had little time to catch my breath. My normal work hours, sure, but then I was covering for sick co-workers in the evening Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, working the live remotes for the School Board, Planning and Zoning Commission, and City Council. None of these are what you would call back-breaking. In fact, if I had to do extra work, this as just about ideal for my busted body. Outside of set-up, it’s all sitting at a mixing board and making sure a) people who are speaking get heard – not always easy, as “speak into the microphone” might as well be uttered in High Enochian to some people – and b) make sure that when the chamber erupts into spontaneous laughter, you do not blow out the equipment or the speakers of people at home.

I am assured that people actually do watch these things at home.

I had been asked to run similar duties at a Board of Directors meeting here at the college on Thursday. There would have been quite a bit more set-up involved in that. Luckily, our engineer was willing to help me out with that (as if I hadn’t been doing it, he would have been stuck with the whole shebang) and got tot he site only to discover someone else was doing the audio deed; those details had been e-mailed or voice-mailed tot he guy who was sick, so nobody had gotten the message.

That was, however, the best thing that could have happened, far as I was concerned. I’d had more than my quota of bureaucracy in action that week.

Thursday was the first evening off in a while; that had me looking over my shoulder, wondering if I was going to be called in to run audio for the Dog Catcher’s Union or something. Then, of course, the show on Friday and Saturday, and yes, funny that you should ask, I was filling in for an absent actor, and his character gets to stand and walk around for about an hour and 15 minutes. I was moving very, very slowly by the time these shows were over.

In case you're wondering what to get me for my birthday

Naturally, I had a shoot Sunday morning. At the San Jacinto Monument. Meaning a lot of walking was in order. That was the 21st Annual Monumental Bug Bash, which sounds like Cricket Stomping Day, but is actually a gathering of fans of the Volkswagen. Again, I’m not a motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the Bug, and it is a very fortunate thing that I don’t have a lot of money, because I have no idea how I would have gotten those cars home, anyway.

The gimping around is bad enough; when you have a 45-minute drive home, that gives those ailing knees an ideal opportunity to lock up. When I finally got home, my cane seemed woefully inadequate to the task; I really wished I had a walker. Maybe with a little horn to honk at young hooligans who get in the way.

This week seems blessedly clear. There is a showing tomorrow of a anti-drunk driving film I did some camera work on, and that’s it until the weekend’s shows. An actual chance to heal? But then what will I bitch about?

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.